- Our School
- School & Church Life
- After School Club
- Results & Reports
- 01833 628291
- Contact Us
- Term Dates
A teaching certificate was issued by a Bishop. Richard Watson was the first school master. At the time, he was a Parson for the poor of Bowes. The school was called The Free Grammar School of Bowes (Bowes Grammar School).
In 1845, the school was re-established by the Court of Chancery – a court having jurisdiction in equity. (A Chancery is an administrative office of a diocese).
In 1877, the school was re-modelled by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners and in 1882, the premises were enlarged by the addition of a new classroom. This classroom was used as an upper or grammar school. There was also an elementary and infant department.
In 1931, the school was still called Bowes Grammar School. It was probably around the end of the Second World War that the name was changed from Bowes Grammar School, as a result of the 1944 Education Act. The Act raised the school-leaving age to 15 years and provided different types of schools: Grammar, Secondary and Technical. Entry into these schools were based on the results from a pupil’s 11+ examination, which took place around the age of 11-12 years. This meant that old “grammar schools” had to be renamed as pupils were not selected to attend them after the examination. It was only as a result of the 1944 Education Act that primary schools were formally established.
Our school was named after William Hutchinson as he endowed the original building and land to the school.